Wednesday, October 28, 2009

the fortune cookies


Yesterday there was a lunch meeting and they had Chinese food. So after it was over I ran in to get some fruit and fortune cookies. I definitely believe in fate, and sometimes I wonder if the cookie I take contains a fortune destined for me.  Who knows. But I do play the game where you add "in bed" to the end of your fortune, just to make things fun. I thought everyone knew this game but shockingly, no one at work knew about it! I have now taught them all my silly game.

As I was walking in to the room, my muffin man just happened to be walking in behind me to do the exact same thing.  Get some fortunes.  He's the annoying type that cracks the cookie open, dumps it in the garbage, and just reads the fortune.  I think it says something about a person who does that. Those seem to be the people who are not the most generous people in life. They just want what's in it for them, ya know?

We both reached for cookies at the same time.  He opened his cookie, dumped it in the garbage and went right for the fortune.   Judging by his reaction, I knew he had a good one.

"What does it say?" I asked him.

"No way. I'm not telling you."

"Why?? Tell me!"

"No," he said, still shaking his head, "you'll have a comment about it"

I was sincere when i promised him I wouldn't make a comment, but the thought that I may snicker came across my mind.

"And don't make a face either!" He knows me well.

"Okay I promise I won't say or do anything! Just tell me!"

In the meantime, I opened my own fortune.

"HA!" I exclaimed.  "So true!"

Before he could ask what mine said I read it aloud.

YOUR LOVE IS SPECIAL. WHY NOT SHARE IT. ....in bed.

We both started laughing. "It IS," I said, and I most certainly DO!"

I love moments like that when he and I stop and picture ourselves in bed at the same time. For that brief moment in time, we have escaped to "our happy place" and it brings a smile to both our faces.

"Okay now tell me yours!" I cannot wait to hear what this fortune he was reluctant to tell said. I figured it would prove me right and him wrong about something. Finally he reads it to me.

BEFORE YOU RECEIVE, YOU MUST GIVE. ...in bed.

"Mmm, hmmm!!" I say with a sarcastic disappointed look on my face, "totall..." i don't even finish the word when all of a sudden he makes a shocked look on his face and i gasp. Oops!  I totally forgot my promise! I covered my mouth and said "sorry! sorry! I forgot!  i can't help myself!"

We opened some others, laughed a lot as we added "in bed" to all of them, and went back to our desks.

I thought about the irony of those two fortunes. Mine spoke of my love being special.  Something I really needed to hear. I do believe my love is special, but why do I choose to share it with someone who can only give half of himself?  Not even half!  I get the left overs.  The left over time in the office, the texting when no one's around, the 2 hours or so when he can come over that he is supposedly at the gym. It hurts so bad I don't know if its really worth it anymore.  I don't deserve that! But then i think how hes always there for me.  When i need him, he's there... to talk to, to listen, whatever I need. Sometimes I'm afraid to ask him for things, and sometimes I feel like the selfish one. Most of the time, he seems like the selfish one in my eyes, but when i think of how he is my friend, he is always giving.

Which brings me to my next point.  His fortune. "Before you receive, you must give." Let's explore this "in bed."
Honestly, he makes me feel unattractive sometimes because he doesn't explore or devour my body like every other man has. Guys love my body! They ravish me! But my muffin man... he waits for me to do the ravishing.  It seems that I feel more comfortable in the dominating role with him, and it just "fits", but he has no interest in exploring my body.  I have found spots on him that get him excited HE never even knew about.  And I know of spots on me that other men have found, and muffin man has NO clue about.  I don't think he even has any desire to know about them either. It really hurts...

His fortune is also apropos in that when I collect for charity, for example, I bring it to work and collect there. Again, he has no interest.  What a turn off. Seriously. You spend $200 a month to belong to a top of the line gym, but can't give $20 or even $5 to help someone in need? It bothers me. I am used to presents and gifts and cards... we're not talking big expensive things here, just a little something...often.  Show me you love me! IN SOME WAY!  JUST SHOW ME YOU LOVE ME! GIVE! MORE THAN YOUR EAR!

I have given him my whole heart, my time, my thoughts, gifts, little cards, letters, etc. I just wish he would do the same. I love him SO much... my love is SPECIAL... why not share it??? 

I am so hopelessly in love with this man... I don't get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's men! You know I'm on the other side of things, but I see similarities. Although I feel ravished with my man (sorry!). We spoke today and it's been heartbreaking. A meeting had to be cancelled. I haven't seen him in almost 6 months (lives in Europe)and we were to meet in 2 weeks. Now I have to wait until Jan so I'm super depressed right now. I miss him so badly. Anyway, women are more into cards, gifts I think. And mine drops money on clothes/things for himself like crazy, but not me! Although he pays to come here and vacations so I'm very forgiving. He has periods when he's so deep and loving and then times that he holds back because of stresses of his business. But you need to tell your man what you want. Don't give into his needs so quickly next time!

Anonymous said...

I just love fortune cookies. I always find myself holding my breath hoping it's some wonderful writing on that little slip of paper.

Anonymous said...

In Bed, after every fortune, I'll try it, sounds like good fun.